Buying a home is likely one of the biggest investments you will ever make. You will need to make a number of decisions about this purchase that should be based on the best information available. The best advice you can obtain on buying a home will come from a real estate professional — a REALTOR®.
REALTORS® are members of The Canadian Real Estate Association who subscribe to a strict Code of Ethics and high Standards of Business Practice. Members of the Victoria Real Estate Board are members of both the British Columbia and Canadian Real Estate Associations.
The following is a list of services you can expect to receive from a REALTOR® when you buy a home:
- A REALTOR® will fully explain the details of your working relationship (called “agency”) so that you are clear as to when a REALTOR® is working for you or for the seller.
- A REALTOR® has access to hundreds of current listings of homes for sale because of a co-operative system called the Multiple Listing Service® (MLS®). A REALTOR® can provide you with a customized list of homes that best your needs — size, style, features, location, proximity to schools, hospital and shopping, etc. – and then make arrangements for you to view those homes that appeal the most.
- A REALTOR® will help you determine how big a home you can afford. Assessing the many financial alternatives is an important consideration when buying a home. REALTORS® are familiar with the local lending market and can offer helpful advice.
- A REALTOR® has no emotional ties to any type or style of home and can be objective in pointing out the merits of one home over another.
- A REALTOR® will have information on zoning changes, taxes, utility costs, school and recreation services that could affect your decision to buy a home in a specific area.
- A REALTOR® will assist you in negotiating the terms of your purchase. Presenting offers and handling counter offers can be a nerve-wracking process for someone who is not experienced in the art of negotiating.
- Finally, a REALTOR® will advise you of the legal process required in obtaining title and taking possession of your property. The costs associated with buying a home such as insurance, mortgage registration and legal fees will be explained in detail.
A REALTOR® ‘s knowledge and skill can help in many ways to make the experience of buying a home a pleasant and rewarding one for you and your family.